At Greenside School we believe that planned benefits of outdoor learning provide positive opportunities for active learning; the outside environment can promote skills of enquiry, independence, problem solving, communication, co-operation, creativity and evaluation. It can provide relevant, engaging opportunities that support learning in all areas of the curriculum and help young people to:
- Develop self esteem, co-operate with and respect the needs of others.
- Extend their personal horizons through greater appreciation and understanding of the world and its people around them.
- Understand the need for sustainable relationships between people and their environment.
- Develop self confidence and independence skills.
- Enhance practical problem solving and teamwork skills.
- Promote a positive and knowledgeable response towards personal health and well being.
Introducing Gibson our Buddy Dog
Greenside is working in partnership with Guide Dogs to promote learning opportunities for all pupils. Since September 2014, Gibson, a golden Labrador, has helped pupils foster a sense of responsibility and companionship.
Gibson belongs at Guide Dogs and works at Greenside 4 days a week throughout the year.
The Buddy Dogs Service is operated by Guide Dogs and matches specially selected dogs and places them within a school environment for the benefit of blind or partially sighted children as well as young people who have special educational needs.
Buddy dogs are guide dogs that haven't qualified to work as mobility assistance dogs but can improve the quality of school life for pupils with special educational needs by contributing to sensory and physical development, enhancing their confidence and self-esteem, gaining greater empathy, increasing levels of exercise and improving their communication and mobility skills. Since Gibson joined Greenside, pupils have been able to learn about caring for animalsl.
Students in the Post 16 Department have been learning about First Aid, the emergency services and how to ring 999 in an emergency.